Birth Injury Lawyers
Nothing may be more heartbreaking for parents than to see their newborn child sustain a birth injury, especially when it could have been prevented. Occasionally, the negligent acts of a hospital, doctor, or other medical professional causes injury to either the child or the mother during the course of the pregnancy, labor, or delivery. In such tragic situations, it is imperative that the rights of the parents and child are safeguarded.
If your child has been diagnosed with a birth injury, you need zealous representation to get accountability for those who caused the condition. While financial compensation cannot ease the emotional pain, it can provide the necessary funds for crucial medical expenses. At Barbuto & Johansson, we understand how devastating birth injuries can be to the child and family. Our attorneys are not only legal advocates, but parents themselves.
If you or a loved one is suffering from a birth related injury, contact us today by calling (561) 444-7980 to schedule a confidential, in-person meeting to discuss the claims and legal options. We are always here to help you and your family.
What are Some Common Types of Birth Injuries?
Some of the most common birth injuries are as follows:
- Cerebral Palsy
- Erb’s Palsy
- Klumpke’s Palsy
- Shoulder Dystocia
- Oxygen Deprivation
- Delayed Cesarean Delivery
- Forced Cesarean Delivery
- Cephalopelvic Disproportion
- Facial Paralysis
- Brain Injuries
- Wrongful Death of the Mother
- Stillbirth or Neonatal Death
What are Some Common Causes for Birth Injuries?
Some examples of mistakes caused by medical personnel that can cause a birth injury include the following:
- Delaying or failing to perform a C-Section
- Excessive or incorrect use of vacuum extraction , forceps and/or other assisted delivery methods
- Failure to monitor maternal and fetal strips
- Failure to diagnose and properly treat seizures
- Failure to diagnose and properly treat Meconium Aspiration
- Failure to detect fetal distress
- Failure to refer a high-risk pregnant mother to a specialist
- Failing to take appropriate steps to avoid premature delivery
- Failure to detect and correctly respond to a breech presentation or breech birth
- Failure to detect and correctly respond to issues involving the placenta
- Failure to act appropriately upon signs of oxygen deprivation to the fetus
- Excessive force or improper rotational force in the delivery process
- Improper intubation
- Failure to detect the baby’s abnormal position, placenta or umbilical cord problems
- Failure to detect the mother’s development of high blood pressure, gestational diabetes or other issues that could impact the baby’s health
- Improper prescription or administration of medication or Pitocin
- Failure to detect and promptly address infections
Medical professionals have an obligation to monitor the health and status of the mother and the fetus throughout the pregnancy and the childbirth. Similarly, they should respond to complications by administering the right procedures in the proper and correct manner.
What Compensation is Available to Victims of Birth Injuries?
Birth injuries can have long term effects on your child’s physical abilities, mental capacity, cognitive skills, and overall quality of life. In a birth injury case, the compensatory damages available can include: short and long term medical treatments, hospital visits or admissions; other required treatments resulting from the injury; medication; specialized equipment; devices; physical therapy; psychological counseling; special education and training; tutoring; aides and caregivers; compensation to the parents for lost wages while caring for their injured child; and compensation for loss of earning potential from the time the child turns 18 until they are of retirement age. Additionally, compensation for non-economic damages may also be rewarded, including emotional pain and suffering. In the most egregious of cases, punitive damages may also be available.
If you suspect that medical malpractice or medical negligence may have been involved in the delivery process, contact us today to discuss your potential claims.
Birth Injury Attorneys serving Wellington, Loxahatchee, Loxahatchee Groves, Palm Beach, Royal Palm Beach, Green Acres, The Acreage, Westlake, West Palm Beach & throughout Florida, California and New Jersey states.